Most of your endurance workouts require moderate exertion. High-intensity interval training, on the other hand, requires higher exertion, but since it is punctuated with regular intervals of lower exertion exercises, the body has enough time to recover. Typically your average high-intensity workout should be sustained for around 2-3 minutes followed by an interval where you workout in your comfort zone for the same amount of time. Then you start again.
What makes high-intensity interval training benefits really stand out is that HIIT is incredibly efficient. This is to say that the results you can achieve through HIIT would take much longer if you were to go for your regular gym workout. Some other high-intensity interval training benefits include:
- You burn more calories and for longer: HIIT is better for burning calories compared to other workouts. Once you’re done with a cycle of HIIT, your body’s repair system kicks into gear.You burn fat and calories for as long as 24 hours after the workout, allowing you to maintain a better body shape than before. HIIT also improves your anaerobic and aerobic fitness which is another factor that assists in burning fat for longer.
- Helps with blood sugar:High-intensity interval training has been known to help control blood sugar. Research shows that this is particularly effective for people suffering from type 2 diabetes. Exercise is often recommended for diabetics, and HIIT is much better than regular continuous exercises. It also decreases the insulin production during fasting and increases insulin sensitivity.
- It can be done anywhere:The beauty of HIIT is that you can do it anywhere in whatever time you have.You can mold it to your requirements. While high-intensity training can include anything from running,cycling to skipping or rowing, it is not necessary that you need space or specific equipment to do it effectively.High-intensity workouts can be easily incorporated into your busy lifestyle requiring only small areas of space.It is all about getting your heart pumping faster. You could just focus on lunges or jumping if you have to.In fact, equipments like weights have actually proven to decrease the effectiveness of HIIT due to focusing on muscles rather than just the heart rate.
- Your heart needs it:HIIT increases the flexibility and elasticity of arteries and veins since they get the ultimate workout due to the high intensity of your exercises.The premise of high-intensity interval training is based on making your heart pump harder than ever before.Remember, the heart is just like any other muscle in the body. So when you make it work harder, its conditioning is bound to improve. Consequently, HIIT improves cardiovascular health and reduces chances of heart disease by a considerable amount.
- Boosts metabolism:High-intensity training involves pushing your body to the limit. When you do this, it becomes difficult to breathe since your body is u
sing more oxygen than it is taking in from the environment. This sends your metabolism into overdrive,allowing you to burn more calories. The boost in metabolism continues long after you
stop exercising since the body continues to require more oxygen to recover.
- Increases HGH levels:One of the lesser known high-intensity interval training benefits is that it can lead to an increased production of human growth hormones(HGH). Studies show that this increase can be by up to 450% within 24 hours of your workout. For those who don’t know, HGH is great for burning calories. It also has a positive effect on the aging process.So by incorporating high-intensity interval training into your lifestyle, you can in actuality improve the overall quality of your life.